These sour cream muffins with chocolate chunks and cherry are a delicious snack. While the recipe isn’t rocket science, it’s an incredible template that you can vary with different fruits and types of chocolate. How about sour cream muffins with milk chocolate and apricot pieces or semi-sweet chocolate bits and raspberries.
Connecting with other foodbloggers is one of my favorite parts of blogging. Sometimes I meet them individually, at conferences or online and other times, while other times it’s through groups that are fun to participate in. Recently, I joined the Secret Recipe Club. In this group, each month the organizers pair up foodblogger members. We check out our partner’s blog and find a recipe to make and blog about.
This month I’ve been paired with Nicole of Daily Dish Recipes. She’s the mother of 5 teenagers, “pseudo mom” to a toddler and 3 more teens, and also claims her “fur babies” – 4 dogs, 2 cats and a hedgehog. What kind of craziness must go on in that household – I can’t even imagine! Anyway, you should definitely check out Daily Dish Recipes. Besides recipes galore, she has tips for bloggers and a feature that I particularly like, a culinary bucket list.
I chose to riff on Nicole’s basic sour cream muffin recipe, because muffins are among my favorite treats and I figured that anyone who feeds that many kids definitely knows how to rock a snack.
Without a pack of teens to gobble them up them, I halved the recipe and just for a lark I split the batter into 6 regular size and 12 minis instead of a dozen regular or 24 minis. For flavoring, I went with a “pretty please with a cherry on top” theme – chocolate chunks inside the muffin, with a cherry on the top for good measure.
As the muffins cooled, I realized that the chocolate and cherry combination is also what I recently used for rugelach. Coincidence or obsession – I’ll let you decide. In any event, whether you want to pop a mini or savor a larger one, these muffins are delightful any time of day or evening.
Sour Cream Muffins with Chocolate Chunks and Cherry
Servings – 12 regular muffins or 24 mini muffins
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons (¼ cup + 2 tablespoons) sour cream
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup of bittersweet chocolate chopped into chunks or chocolate chips
- 12 -24 frozen cherries (1 per muffin)
- Muffin tin
- Large bowl
- Mixer (hand or stand)
- Two tablespoons
- Wire rack for cooling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease the muffin cups or add paper liners.
- Using an electric mixer, beast the softened butter and sugar in the bowl until the mixture becomes creamy and light-colored, about 1-2 minutes. Add the vanilla, eggs, salt, and baking soda, beating just until combined.
- Using the spatula, gently fold in the sour cream. Fold in the flour and chocolate chunks or chips, just until combined. Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Using the tablespoons (one to scoop and the other to push the batter off into the muffin cups), fill the muffin cups. Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes for regular or about 10-12 minutes for the minis. (Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into one muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done.)
- Allow the muffins to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack to completely cool.
Hope you enjoy these sour cream muffins with chocolate chunks and cherry. To see other recipes made this month by Secret Recipe Club members, check out the links below: