Holiday meals send me scurrying to my cookbooks, favorite websites, and consultations with my valued “kitchen cabinet” for menu combinations and recipes. Memorial Day is traditionally the start of the American summer eating season. Whether it’s a picnic, a barbecue, or a pot luck, many folks celebrate Memorial Day with family and friends, eating communally and enjoying each other’s company.
I’ve brainstormed through my list of picnic/barbecue recipes and tips to gather a few for you. If you are planning a get together, or bringing a dish to a pot luck this weekend, I hope these will spark your creative juices (pardon the pun.)
These dips, chips and spreads are easy and you can prepare them a day or two ahead of time. You can even freeze the hummus or the goat cheese spread and defrost them on Memorial Day morning.
Sides and Salads
- How about microwaving your corn on the cob?
- Two kinds of cole slaw – One with mayonnaise and one without (better for picnics where food may be outside in the heat)
- While we’re on the subject of traditional, cold salads, don’t forget the potato salad
- If you want a starch, but aren’t in the traditional Memorial Day mood, Dan Dan or peanut noodles make a nice change and they are a great choice for a picnic where food will be out because they should be served at room temperature.
- Or, if you like the goat cheese, sun-dried tomato and basil mixture, try it on pasta.
- Savory cornbread muffins would be easy to make ahead and transport
Picnic or Barbecue Main Course
- If you are doing burgers, here are 5 tips on how to barbecue them
- Or if you are looking for a healthy main dish that is great hot off the grill or served at room temperature, grilled salmon would be my choice.
- I’m all for dressing up strawberries. Using disposable glasses to layer parfaits, means no-muss-no-fuss at the end of the party.
- If you’ve got the grill going for a main dish, how about grilled pineapple with vanilla ice cream?
- Or if the chocoholic in you demands rich but simple chocolately goodness, these glazed chocolate orange mini cupcakes fit the bill.
However you celebrate and whatever foods you choose, have a wonderful Memorial Day. Please remember and honor those for whom Memorial Day was created – the men and women of the armed forces, who died while serving our country.