You want simple for breakfast? I’ll give you simple. A breakfast parfait. And you’ll get elegant at no extra charge. Of course, you can eat it for a snack later in the day, or even dessert after dinner, but I’m most in love with this tall and glorious dish for breakfast.
I know how to use an immersion blender and there is a “stand-up” blender in my cupboard. (I don’t own a powerful Vitamix and have, on occasion, had Vitamix envy, but that’s a story for another day.). I know that smoothies are all the rage – it’s just that I find that idea of turning a noise-making machine early in the morning rather jarring. Plus, who can taste what they’re eating after it’s all been mushed up?
This simple dish will help you ease into your day without noise. What makes it different from throwing everything together into a bowl, even without blending everything all up?
- You eat with your eyes as well as your tastebuds. When you check out this parfait sitting at your breakfast table or counter, you’ll smile even before you taste it.
- If you rush through breakfast, you don’t get time to digest before you hit “full speed ahead” mode. This parfait helps you slow down and savor your food, even if only for a few minutes – a good idea any time of the day, but especially in the morning.
Serving – 1 (but you know how to multiply don’t you?) Cost – $1-2 depending on fruit used
- ½ cup (4 ounces) yogurt, preferably homemade
- ½ cup (1-1½ ounces) granola, preferably homemade
- approximately 1 cup of fruit, cut into small (fingernail-sized) cubes if they aren’t small berries such as blueberries or raspberries
- Cutting board
- Parfait-style glass and long spoon
- Cut the fruit.
- Beginning with a scoop of fruit in the bottom of the glass, alternate fruit, yogurt, and granola, ending with granola on the top.
Dig in and enjoy!